Frequently Asked Questions (Medical)

    What can EAA do for me?
    Although, EAA does not have a medical person on staff to answer specific medical questions, we have developed the EAA AME Pilot Advocate Program for EAA members. These AME doctors are pilots, EAA members who have volunteered their time to help other EAA members with questions about obtaining their medical.

    What medical standards must be met in order to be issued each of the different Class of certificates?
    The medical standards for each class of medical certificate are put forth in
    Part 67 of the Federal Aviation Regulations.

    What happens if I get my medical certificate and then I have some sort of medical problem that develops before the certification expires? Do I have to report it and do I have to ground myself? Can I keep on flying until the certificate expires?
    The regulations are quite clear that, despite the presence of an unexpired medical certificate, it is still your responsibility as a pilot to maintain your health. If you develop a new medical condition or experience the worsening of an existing medical condition such that you may no longer meet the medical requirements, then you must not fly until the problem is resolved. A simple problem such as a cold, a broken arm, or nausea may require nothing more than the appropriate treatment and a little time before you can safely return to the skies. A more complicated problem or the development or change of a chronic illness may necessitate consultation with an AME, an EAA AME Pilot Advocate or the FAA before flying resumes. As long as you choose not to fly, the medical condition does not need to be reported to the FAA until you wish to return to flying.

    Can I take medication?
    Because the list of FAA approved medications is constantly changing, EAA refers specific medication questions to EAA AME Pilot Advocates in that specialty.

    Is there any general FAA guidance available on Over-the Counter Medications and Flying?

    Yes, the FAA Aeromedical Center in Okalahoma City has published a brochure, AAM-400A , that provides basic information on this topic. After reading it, EAA recommends you talk to your local FAA AME or an EAA Aeromedical Pilot Advocate for further information, if needed.

    I have some minor medical problems and would like to find out whether or not they will create difficulties when I go to get my medical certificate.
    One source to answer this question is an EAA AME Pilot Advocates. He/She is happy to answer questions you have about your personal situation and advise as how to proceed accordingly. Another alternative is to contact the FAA directly, either through your Regional Flight Surgeon’s office or through the Aeromedical Certification Division of the FAA in Oklahoma City (405) 954-4821. However, they receive many calls and sometimes it is hard to get through.

    Do I have to visit an EAA AME Pilot Advocate?
    No. EAA encourages its members to speak with the Pilot Advocate before going to see him/her, especially since many members would have to travel long distances to visit the nearest one. Begin with a consultation call. Most of the time the doctor can provide advice over the phone.  If necessary, the member can see an AME in their area. However, if the member does decide to visit a Pilot Advocate, the member will be responsible for the normal office visit charge.

    If my application for medical certification is turned down, what recourse do I have?
    Part 67
    of the Federal Aviation Regulations outlines the appeal process for applicants who are denied medical certification. The initial appeal would be to the Federal Air Surgeon (through the FAA Oklahoma City office) to request an authorization for the special issuance of a medical certificate. This might result in a medical certification that is time-limited, contingent upon the successful completion of additional medical testing, or otherwise restricted. If this request is not successful, then an appeal to the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) could be made. If the NTSB concurs with the FAA’s denial action, you could then request a hearing in Federal District Court and ultimately the Supreme Court.

    It has been two or three months since I sent in my application and I have not heard from the FAA, nor can I get through to find out? Can EAA help me?
    Yes EAA can call the FAA Oklahoma City Office on your behalf to find out the status of your application. Members can call EAA’s Information Services at 888-322-4636, extension 4821. Please have your PI# handy when you call.

    Is there an EAA AME Pilot Advocate in my area?
    More than 100 EAA AME Pilot Advocates located across the country. To find the closest Pilot Advocate members can
    access the list directly or call EAA Information Services at 888-322-4636, extension 4821

    FAA Aeromedical Examiner FAQ’s

Members Home | EAA Flight Planner | Aviation Advisors | Magazine Search | Pilot Services 
EAA Government Relations | Homebuilders HQ | Chapters | Search | Member Benefits
Renew Your Membership
 | Contact Us | Update Your Membership Info | Store | EAA Home Page

EAA Aviation Center
P.O. Box 3086
Oshkosh, WI 54903-3086
Phone: 920.426.4800
Disclaimer/Privacy Statement

All content, logos, pictures, and videos are the property of the Experimental Aircraft Association, Inc.
Copyright 2014 - Experimental Aircraft Association, Inc.
If you have any comments or questions contact